Friday, December 2, 2011

I am Canadian

hello everyone my name is Sarah and I am Canadian. I moved to Sparta, New Jersey about three years ago from Toronto, Ontario. Now, I was always thought Americans were somewhat smart or atleast knew a little bit about the countries around them. But boy was I wrong. Nobody and I mean NOBODY in my new school knew anything about Canada! People were asking me the funniest questions like if I used to live in an igloo or if I spoke Canadian at home with my parents. They were surprised to hear that Canadian is ENGLISH!! Most Americans don't know anything about Canadians or even Canada in general. I find it very sad because the two countries share a border yet some Americans refuse to even acknowledge Canada as a country. I think the best solution for this problem is to educate Americans about Canada and even about all the other countries in the world. Most Americans don't know much about geography either. There are many stereotypes about Canadians here in the US, and ofcourse, there are stereotypes up in Canada about the Americans. But I'll get to the stereotypes a little later. Right now, I would like you all to watch this video to show you how little Americans know about what I find to be the greatest country, Canada.

sad isn't it.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaa that video is actually really funny. I honestly probably couldn't have answered any of those questions, except for the one about the flag; I knew that :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your article, I immediately remembered the TV series 'How I met your mother'; how Ted and his friends make fun of Robin who is a Canadian. So, I also had some idea about this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually didn't know that most of the Americans don't know about Canada. I'm from Nepal and I know that since my lower secondary classes. I think the Americans need to be taught a little more about the world geography .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha you have a really good idea for a blog! I thought it was pretty funny about how you think of the stereotypes that many Americans attribute to Canadians.
    Great topic though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely know what you're talking about. When I first came to college, I was asked, "Where are you from?" and I said "Nepal". They had a weird look on their face. Somebody even said, "Do you mean India?" and "Isn't that a part of Bangladesh?". So trust me, I know how you feel to not be recognized. I wish everyone knew about the countries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes! I had someone asking how close do I live to Mount Everest. "It might be adventurous for you all the time" that person added.

    What I think is it is not so surprising for a person to make assumptions on the basis of the most general fact about a country. The only way to avoid this is for each of us to be properly educated about the cultures living around us. For an American, it is not abnormal to not learn about Nepal but to know about Canada is a necessity. I do not know if the Canadians know much about Americans but sharing border should mean sharing culture or at least lo learn about each others culture.

    ReplyDelete